Dialog Box

Role of healthcare team

Your initial investigations, and any treatment is managed by a group of healthcare professionals. Find out more about what they do, and how best to access care.

General Practitioner:

If you are experiencing any unresolved symptoms of ovarian cancer, you should visit your general practitioner (GP).

Your GP will assess your symptoms, conduct a physical examination and arrange blood tests. Your results should be available within a week or so.

Your GP should also discuss your needs (including physical, psychological, social and information needs) and recommend sources of reliable information and support. 


If ovarian cancer is suspected, you should be referred to a specialist for further testing within one to two weeks. The GP can provide the specialist with information including your medical history, family history of cancer and any test results.

The specialist might choose to do further tests to find out if cancer is present, and if so, the stage and development of spread.

  • It is important to remember the symptoms of ovarian cancer can be caused by other, less serious medical conditions.
  • However, if you are not comfortable with your doctor’s diagnosis or you are still concerned about unexplained persistent symptoms, you should seek a second opinion.
  • You know your body better than anyone else, so always listen to what your body is saying and trust your instincts.